Where Can I Get Help?

   For hotline numbers, and for a list of inpatient, outpatient, detox centers, Please click here.  

An excellent place to get help for adults is "Center for Network Therapy."   This is an outpatient detox/counseling facility located in Middlesex, NJ.  Check out their website at www.recoverycnt.com

How can I tell if someone is using and where can I find help?

Get Help Now:
In an emergency dial 911
J Substance Abuse Hotline 1-800-322-5525?

This website has been created to foster a positive environment in Hanover Township. It is not in any way a substitute for professional legal or health advice which should only be sought from a licensed professional.

If you’re worried about your own or a friend or family member’s drug use, it’s important to know that help is available. Learning about the nature of drug abuse and addiction—how it develops, what it looks like, and why it can have such a powerful hold—will give you a better understanding of the problem and how to best deal with it.

Although different drugs have different physical effects, the symptoms of addiction are similar. See if you recognize yourself in the following signs and symptoms of substance abuse and addiction. If so, consider talking to someone about your drug use.  

Common Signs & Symptoms of Drug Abuse: 

Psychological Signs:

  • Unexplained change in personality or attitude
  • Sudden mood swings, irritability, or angry outbursts
  • Periods of unusual hyperactivity, agitation, or giddiness
  • Lack of motivation; appears lethargic or “spaced out”
  • Appears fearful, anxious, or paranoid, with no reason 

Behaviorial Signs:

  • Drop in attendance and performance at work or school
  • Unexplained need for money or financial problems. May borrow or steal to get it.
  • Engaging in secretive or suspicious behaviors
  • Sudden change in friends, favorite hangouts, and hobbies
  • Frequently getting into trouble (fights, accidents, illegal activities)

Physical Signs:

  • Bloodshot eyes, pupils larger or smaller than usual
  • Changes in appetite or sleep patterns. Sudden weight loss or weight gain
  • Deterioration of physical appearance, personal grooming habits
  • Unusual smells on breath, body, or clothing
  • Tremors, slurred speech, or impaired coordination


Warning Signs of Commonly Abused Drugs

  • Marijuana: Glassy, red eyes; loud talking, inappropriate laughter followed by sleepiness; loss of interest, motivation; weight gain or loss.
  • Depressants (including Xanax, Valium, GHB): Contracted pupils; drunk-like; difficulty concentrating; clumsiness; poor judgment; slurred speech; sleepiness.
  • Stimulants (including amphetamines, cocaine, crystal meth): Dilated pupils; hyperactivity; euphoria; irritability; anxiety; excessive talking followed by depression or excessive sleeping at odd times; may go long periods of time without eating or sleeping; weight loss; dry mouth and nose.
  • Inhalants (glues, aerosols, vapors):  Watery eyes; impaired vision, memory and thought; secretions from the nose or rashes around the nose and mouth; headaches and nausea; appearance of intoxication; drowsiness; poor muscle control; changes in appetite; anxiety; irritability; lots of cans/aerosols in the trash.
  • Hallucinogens (LSD, PCP): Dilated pupils; bizarre and irrational behavior including paranoia, aggression, hallucinations; mood swings; detachment from people; absorption with self or other objects, slurred speech; confusion.
  • Heroin: Contracted pupils; no response of pupils to light; needle marks; sleeping at unusual times; sweating; vomiting; coughing, sniffling; twitching; loss of appetite.

Where Can I Find Help?

You are most likely wondering where you can find help for yourself or a friend.  In our New Jersey you can start by visiting the NJ Division of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS): 

What if my friend or loved one asks for help, where do I start?

If someone you care about has asked for help, he or she has taken an important first step. If they are resistant to help, see if you can at least convince them to get an evaluation from a doctor.   

You can always take steps to locate an appropriate physician or health professional, and leave the information with your friend. You can call health professionals in advance to see if they are comfortable speaking with their patients about addiction. If not, ask for a referral to another doctor with more expertise in the area of addiction. There are 3,500 board certified physicians who specialize in addiction in the United States.  The American Society of Addiction Medicine Web site has a Find a Physician feature on its home page. The American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry also has a Patient Referral Program.

Emphasize to your friend or loved one that it takes a lot of courage to seek help for a drug problem, because there is a lot of hard work ahead. There is a great deal of scientific evidence that treatment works, and people recover every day. Like other chronic diseases, addiction can be managed successfully. Treatment enables people to counteract the powerfully disruptive effects of drugs on the brain and behavior and to regain control of their lives. Like many diseases, it can take several attempts at treatment to find the right approach. But assure them that you will support them in their courageous effort.

Can I explore treatment centers even if my friend is not willing to go into treatment?

Yes. If you find centers that might appeal to your friend, either by their location or medical approach, it might encourage him or her to enter treatment.  

You can call this helpline and get some advice on how to proceed: 1-800-662-HELP (4357) (This service is supported by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.)

You can also look for a treatment center online, which l will allow you to search for a treatment center in your area, and it will also give you information about the kind of addiction or patients it treats.

How can people find treatment that they can afford?

If they have health insurance, it may cover substance abuse treatment services. Many insurance plans cover inpatient stays.  When setting up appointments with treatment centers, you can ask about payment options and what insurance plans they take. They can also advise you on potential low-cost options.

To find treatment—and to learn about payment options—try the Mental Health Facility Treatment Locator provided by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. This free tool offers payment information for each of the treatment services listed, including information on sliding fee scales and payment assistance. Its “Frequently Asked Questions” section addresses cost of treatment.

You can also call the treatment helpline at 1-800-662-HELP (1-800-662-4357) or 1-800-487-4889 (TTY) to ask about treatment centers that offer low- or no-cost treatment.  You can also contact your state substance abuse agency—because many states will help pay for substance abuse treatment.

Note that the new Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act ensures that co-pays, deductibles, and visit limits are generally not more restrictive for mental health and substance abuse disorder benefits than they are for medical and surgical benefits. The Affordable Care Act builds on this law and requires coverage of mental health and substance use disorder services as one of ten essential health benefits categories.  Under the essential health benefits rule, individual and small group health plans are required to comply with these parity regulations. 

For more information on the Affordable Care Act you can call 1-800-318-2596 or go to: https://www.healthcare.gov/ .

When you research payment options, be sure you are speaking to people familiar with the new rules (old Web sites and pamphlets will not necessarily be accurate.

Still have more questions?

Contact us directly.  We'd be happy to assist you personally.